Drone Camps across Northern Australia
One of our very first ideas for She Flies was to run drone camps, so we were thrilled to realise this small dream over the June / July School holidays! We ran four camps in Cairns and Darwin, with a total of 89 girls and 21 adults in attendance. Big shout out to the people who travelled far and wide to be a part of She Flies. For the girls who attended – we’ve sent your junior drone pilot licenses to your school Principals – we’d love to see photos of you when you receive them. Remember to post with #SheFlies and we’ll share as well.
As part of our camps, we ask the girls to tell their own stories about their experience via a two minute video. We are thrilled to see our themes of empowerment, leadership, friendship, science, and of course drones reflected strongly back. You can see the amazing videos from some very talented girls here in the four playlists. Here is one of our favourites...
Some Thank You's
Our camps would not have been possible without the help of many people and organisations, but in particular we would like to thank:
- The Department of Industry, Innovation and Science through the WISE Grant for providing the camp funding;
- James Cook University and Charles Darwin University for staff support;
- Trinity Beach Primary School for the fantastic Cairns venue;
- BLA for supporting the ‘Miss Art’ program in Cairns;
- Dr Renee Bartolo from ERISS for inspiring the Darwin girls with her drones, stories, and financial support;
- The Australian Army / 20STA for supporting WO2 Sue Osborne and GNR Amy Henderson to attend the Darwin camps and providing inspiration to the girls about potential careers in the Defence Force; and
- SSSI for providing student scholarships
We will be holding our final two camps in Karratha in October. It’s really important for us to be able to provide opportunities to girls who live in regions of Australia that often miss out on activities that happen in the bigger cities. So we can’t wait to visit the Pilbara!